- Operates fabricating machines, such as brakes, rolls, shears, flame cutters, and drill presses.
- Bends and straighten metal by hammering, chipping and grinding it.
- Uses hand torch or furnace to pre-heat workpieces.
- Fits and welds metal parts together.
- Designs and creates templates and fixtures.
- Checks if a workpiece meets the specifications by using square, ruler, and measuring tape.
- May fabricate and assemble sheet metal products.
- May set up and operate machine tools associated with fabricating shops, such as radial drill press, end mill, and edge planer.